As a student of Shawnee State University, you have rights and responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to conduct yourself in a way that is consistent with the mission and values of Shawnee State University.
We expect you to learn, discover, question, challenge, form your own opinions, feel free to voice your opinions, expand your world — and enjoy your college experience.
We also expect you to observe the rights and safety of others on and off campus, treat faculty, staff, and other students with respect, obey laws, and do nothing that may disrupt the academic process.
The Code also provides details on the student judicial process at Shawnee State University, including the process that you may use to appeal decisions made regarding your conduct.
Please become familiar with the Student Conduct Code and feel free to discuss any expectations that you do not fully understand with the Dean of Students.
Overview of Behaviors that Violate the Student Conduct Code
- Interference with the educational mission of the University
- Sexual misconduct or violations of Title IX
- Endangering the health and safety of others
- Misuse or destruction of property
- Interference with the Student Conduct Code process
- Criminal activity
How to Report Violations
Contact one of the following to report a potential violation:
- Office of Residence Life
- Residence Advisor (RA)
- Dean of Students
- Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Department of Public Safety
- College Dean or Office of the Provost (for academic misconduct)
- Official Censure — written reprimand
- Official Warning — notice to student that continuation of conduct may be cause for additional action
- Restitution — compensation for loss, damages or injury
- Loss of Financial Aid
- Educational and Remedial Sanctions — an order requiring student to participate in service activities or educational programs
- Disciplinary Probation — designated period of time during which privileges of continuing in student status are conditioned upon future behavior
- Deferred Suspension — suspension that is delayed pending specified behavioral performance
- Suspension — separation of the student from SSU student status for a proscribed period of time and/or until a stated condition is met
- Dismissal — permanent separation of the student from SSU student status
How to Appeal a Decision
Students may appeal decisions that are made regarding their conduct by following the appeal process. Information on this process can be found on page 15 of the Student Conduct Code (PDF).