Student EmploymentStudent Employment is an on-campus employment opportunity for eligible students. There are part-time jobs available on campus that vary in skill level, offering the student the opportunity to further develop their work-life skills. Student Employment also provides the student a means of financial assistance. Additionally, student employment positions provide necessary services for each department's operations at Shawnee State University.
Job Categories have been developed for Student & Student-Related Employment that include Job Description Templates for most offices or areas on campus.
- Job Categories address the purpose for each job type (e.g., student employment, resident assistant, internship, graduate assistant, and fellowship). They also describe the nature of the work, payment structure and work hours for each. The categories for students and graduates are defined below.
- Student Employment Job Description Templates provide the basic responsibilities and minimum requirements for a given job and will assist the Supervisor with describing the tasks needed for their area. Refer to the "Job Description Templates" link below to find the job description that applies to student-related employment in individual offices or areas on campus.
- Operational Student Employment Guidelines and Eligibility requirements have recently been updated. Review the “Student Employment Guidelines” link below for the most recent information.
- Supervisor - additional guidelines for work assignments and duties that outline the types of work students should be performing are explained in the “Student Assignment Guidelines” link below.
How to Apply for Student Employment
Student Employment positions are posted on the Career Opportunities at SSU applicant portal. Students can apply online at any time for any posted job - just click on the 'Apply to this Job' link in the Posting.
Please submit only one application per semester. Sending multiple applications does not increase your chances of obtaining student employment. Duplicate applications will be deleted.
IMPORTANT: filling out an application does not guarantee that you will be hired. If you are hired by a department on campus, you must go to Human Resources to complete the necessary employment paperwork before starting work.
What is the difference between Student Employment and College Work Study?
Student employees are paid from department funds. Federal College Work Study students are paid from federal funds as part of their financial aid package. Therefore, financial need is considered as part of the Federal College Work Study award process. To apply for Federal Work Study, you must contact the Financial Aid Office at Shawnee State University or go to their webpage at Federal Work Study. Wages earned under Student Employment or Federal Work Study are not applied to a student's financial aid package.
Supervisor (Administrative) Responsibilities
When the department has a vacant student employment position to fill, the supervisor should refer to the Primary Requirements section above for recent information concerning student-related employment. Appropriate job information is required in order to generate a Posting for the open position. Once Human Resources has received the proper and required information, the job will be posted within five (5) working days.
!! Supervisors must be certain that students do not begin working until all employment paperwork is completed !!
The supervisor must complete the required Authorization to Hire or Change Notice and submit to Human Resources. Be sure to include account number(s) and required signatures.
- Authorization to Hire or Change Instructions (PDF)
- Authorization to Hire or Change (PDF) form for Student Workers
- Bear Trax Chart of Accounts Crosswalk
Authorizations to Hire must be completed in full, including all necessary funding account numbers (e.g. XX-XXXX-XX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX). Please note that the wage rate for student employees is now shown in the Job Categories document. In the event information is omitted from the form, it will be returned to the department for completion (this will result in delays). Once the Authorization to Hire has been approved and submitted, please ensure your student employee completes the necessary employment paperwork in Human Resources before starting work.
Supervisors must approve their student workers' time cards by 9:00 a.m. every other Monday.
Student Worker Responsibilities
Pay Schedule & Time Cards:
Student Time Cards are due in Bear Trax every other Friday (on pay-day Fridays) by 1:00 p.m. The Student Worker Pay Schedule and Time Card Instructions are attached below.
As always, feel free to contact Human Resources at (740) 351-3167 or Payroll at (740) 351-3104 if you have any questions. Thank you so much in advance.